I blog here and I also write occasionally for Counterpunch and other online and print publications.
- New year plan: more podcasting! January 4, 2019My plans for the rest of 2019 include making around 51 more podcast episodes, finishing the first draft of my first-fifty-years memoir, raising kids, and making a lot of espresso in the process (especially this summer in Denmark), among other things.I've learned a lot about making micro podcast episodes since I started with this project last August. If […]
- Life After Facebook -- Ten Suggestions October 11, 2018A lot of people lately are more fully realizing the many down sides to Facebook. Yes, it's only one of many massive corporations dominating much of the globe's online communications, but it's an especially problematic one on many levels. With billions of users, it's so dominant it's almost impossible to ignore, especially for certa […]
- Crunching the Numbers October 11, 2018DIY Touring in 2018 I suddenly feel compelled to do some public number-crunching, in case it interests anybody. It's mainly for self-therapy. Also, things are constantly changing in the indy music biz, such as it is, and I haven't done a public number-crunching in a while. Yes, I did have an experience which led me to feel compelled to write this […]
I also maintain a weekly blog to complement each episode of my podcast, This Week with David Rovics.
This Week with David Rovics
- The Joy of Touring June 13, 2019I've been on a sort of paternity leave since last winter. I say "sort of" because it's not like I have an employer or anything -- taking a leave for me means not touring, and mounting credit card debt. The reality that it is time to book a major tour becomes undeniable, when the debt rises into the fifth digit to the left of the point. S […]
- Remembering Gerd Berlev June 6, 2019I got word last weekend, on the afternoon of June 1st, 2019, Denmark time, that my friend and comrade, extremely talented organizer and much-loved grandmother and horn player, Gerd Berlev died. There is so much that can be said about her, but as I sat in my apartment in Portland, Oregon, taking in this news, I wrote these words.When I met Gerd, she was aroun […]
- SPECIAL EDITION: Songs For Today, an Album Tour May 31, 2019Note to readers of my column: I normally organize my weekly missives in such a way that they work almost as well in written form as they do in podcast form. This week is a bit different -- this week's podcast doesn't just involve a song at the end that's related to the subject at hand, but the podcast is about the album, and includes all 13 […]
You can also read my blog on the David Rovics APP, free on Google or Apple stores.